THE CANADA GREENER HOMES GRANT
As of February 6th 2024, The Canada Greener Homes Grant for Heat Pumps is currently closed. We are awaiting details of a program that will be replacing it and when they become available we will update this page with new information. The Oil to Heat Pump Affordability grant is Still Open.
HERE’S YOUR STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO THE CANADA GREENER HOMES GRANT
The Canada Greener Homes Grant was created to help Canadians save money and energy by determining areas in your home that could use efficiency upgrades and providing rebates to assist in paying for any eligible upgrades that your energy advisor uncovers.
The grant covers a wide array of home upgrades including Home insulation, Air Sealing, Windows and Doors, Thermostats, Renewable Energy and our specialty: Space and Water heating products like Heat Pumps and hybrid hot water tanks.
As inflation and supply issues continue to affect the price of fixed resources like oil, fuel and natural gas, higher-efficiency electric heating and cooling systems like heat pumps and hybrid hot water tanks have become a hot topic as they can lower monthly bills while being more environmentally friendly.
We have helped lots of customers through the Greener Homes Grant process successfully and would love to assist you with your application. We’ll guide you through beginning to end to ensure your equipment qualifies and that you get the largest rebate possible back.
What Heating & Cooling Products are Covered Under the Greener Homes Grant?
These HVAC products are covered in Ontario under the Canada Greener Homes Grant:
- Up to $6500 on qualifying Air Source Heat Pump and Furnace/Air Handler Combinations.
- Up to $2500-$6500 on qualifying Ductless Heat Pumps (min 2 heads)
- Up to $1300 on qualifying Hybrid Hot Water Tanks
- Up to $10,000 to assist in the cost of converting from Oil to Electric if you qualify for the Oil to Heat Pump Affordability Program.
- Up to $600 reimbursement for EnerGuide home energy evaluations
- Up to $40,000 in interest free loans to help pay for the upgrades if you qualify for the Canada Greener Homes Loan
- Up to $5000 in additional support for other energy upgrades if you’re a qualifying Enbridge Customer.
What are the Eligibility Requirements?
In Ontario, one home owner per household must demonstrate home ownership and that the home is your primary residence.
The following types or properties are eligible for the grant program:
- Single and semi-detached houses
- Row housing
- All-season cottages
- Mobile homes on a permanent foundation
- Permanently-moored floating homes
- Mixed use buildings (residential portion only)
How do i apply?
Call, text or email us. Any time!
Heat Pump Grants don’t have to be scary! With our help, the process is easy.
We would be happy to help you schedule a free no-pressure in-home quote with one of our Heat pump and Greener Homes Grant Specialty advisors.
We will provide pricing options that suit your needs and budget while qualifying for the rebate and if you want to move forward with the quote we’ve provided, we’ll help you schedule your appointment with a registered energy auditor right away so that you can start the process.
PLEASE NOTE: If You’re planning on converting from Oil To A Heat Pump System, the process is slightly different. You can Learn More about the Oil to Heat Pump Affordability Program here.
Complete your energy advisor evaluation
Your auditor will tell you which areas could benefit from upgrades that are eligible for the grant, and they will also help you submit an application through the Canada Greener Homes portal. Once your upgrades have been completed, your auditor will return to go over the results with you.
You are welcome to use your own energy advisor, or we would be happy to connect you with our preferred advisors: Home Inspectors Group to perform this audit.
Note: Throughout the grant process please make sure that you save all documents. In order to get your rebate you will need to show evidence of your evaluation prior to and after the upgrades are performed, as well as receipts for all work performed when you complete the entire grant process. We will help you to make sure there are no issues.
Complete your upgrades
Once you’ve had your audit done and are approved to perform the eligible upgrades that we quoted you for, we will schedule you for your installation date.
It can up to 60-90 days to get approved. Once you’re approved, depending on how busy we are we can usually get your install scheduled within a week or less.
Our technicians are specifically trained on Heat Pump Installations and Service. Most Heat pumps come with a Ten Year warranty and we will ensure a perfect installation every time leaving you with no future headaches.
Book & Complete your post upgrade evaluation with your energy advisor
The grant requires an evaluation be completed after your upgrades to obtain a clear measure of energy saved and greenhouse gas emissions that were reduced as a result of the upgrades.
This is a very important part of the process because the “Before” and “After” photos that your advisor takes are required in order to receive your grant.
Apply for your rebate
Submit all your required documents online via the Canada Greener Homes Application Portal. You will need to provide proof of the upgrades you performed with the following information:
- Your rating and evaluation reports (both pre and post changes)
- All invoices and receipts for the work done
optional step 1
Apply for the Canada Greener Homes Loan
Want to do a lot of upgrades but don’t have enough money to perform them? You can apply for 10 year an interest free loan for up to $40,000 to help perform eligible upgrades.
Loan Amount: $5,000 – $40,000
Repayment term: 10 years, interest-free
Loan Type: Unsecured personal loan on approved credit
- You must be eligible for and apply for the Canada Greener Homes Grant or the equivalent provincial program
- You must be a Canadian homeowner, and your home must be your primary residence
- You have completed a pre-retrofit evaluation of your home dated April 1, 2020, or later
- You have a good credit history and aren’t under:
- a consumer proposal
- an orderly payment of debt program
- a bankruptcy or equivalent insolvency proceeding
For more information, visit the
Canada Greener Homes Loan website.
optional step 2
Apply for the Oil the Heat Pump Affordability Program
The Oil to Heat Pump Affordability Program, will help Canadians who are currently heating their homes with oil make the transition to affordable electric cold-climate heat pumps.
Grant Amount: Up to $10,000
To cover costs for changing your oil heating to a heat pump including for:
- the purchase and installation of an eligible cold climate air source heat pump
- electrical upgrades required for the new heat pump
- safe removal of the oil tank
Your grant money will be available before the installation of your new heat pump.
Make sure that you’ve got all the following to prepare for this grant when it becomes available:
- Your household qualifies as median income and below, after tax
- Your home is heated by oil as of January 2023
- You are the primary resident and owner of your home (make sure that your current address is up to date on your government issued ID)
- You’ve got copies of your oil fuel bills from the last 12 months
- You have not already received money for a heat pump as part of the Canada Greener Homes Grant
Eligible homeowners will be able to combine the grant with funding from existing federal, provincial, territorial and utility programs. More program eligibility requirements will be made available in the coming months.
Do I need a home energy evaluation for this new grant?
Having oil as the source of heating for your home is the main criteria for this grant. That’s why we won’t need a home energy evaluation this time.
We will still need other documentation from you though to help us along this process.
- For Complete Details Visit the Governments Official Canada Greener Homes Website.
- Canada Greener Homes Grants are not taxable and do not have to be declared as income.
- Ensure you keep all your documents until 2028.
- Always check the license of any professional installing or performing any services in your home.
- Canada Greener Homes Grants are pro-rated according to the type of home and percentage of energy efficiency
improvements made through the upgrades.
- Always Save everything during this grant process- It never hurts to have too much information but can affect whether your application is approved or not if you are missing some.
Are you tired of the high costs and environmental impact associated with oil-based heating systems? It might be time to consider a switch to an energy-efficient heat pump.
As temperatures drop, you want to ensure that your heat pump runs efficiently. A well-maintained heat pump can provide you with reliable and consistent heating during the cold winter months.
If you’re in the market for a new heating system, you may feel overwhelmed by all the options out there. Let’s break down the differences between heat pumps and furnaces so that you can decide which type of heating system will best suit your needs.